A Satellite's Story

I don’t need a candle,
No flicker or flame.
Lamp, torch or match
It all looks the same
Because the tenebrosity of life
Isn’t the issue at hand
It’s not my priority,
You misunderstand.
You see,
The problem is
That I’ve learned to see in the dark
All too well
And for far too long
That living with light
Hurts as well.
My retinas burn at the slightest spark
So I keep my eyes shut,
I prefer the dark
Now that I
Have acclimatised,
Because I don’t have the luxury
To prioritise
The sun
When, like the moon,
I can only reflect.
And still
You keep handing me candles.
 


Copyright © Amber Kemp 2018®
* No part of this poem may be used or reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any way or form or by any means electronic, mechanical, recording, or otherwise without the written permission of the author.*

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts