The Sandman.

The sandman visited me one night
And stitched a suit of lead into my skin.
He crossed my heart until I hoped to die
And after that, he tucked me in.

With a tear stained needle 
And a thread of solid gold,
It really weighs you down.
But “It’s beautiful,
You should be thankful”
Is what I have been told.

They say when you run in a dream
You are running from what scares you the most.
But I’m afraid my fears aren’t erased by the sun,
I’m afraid of my past self’s ghost.

Years have passed and since that night
There’s been an exhaustion in my soul,
Which no amount of sleep or caffeine can cure.
I’ve been pushed down the rabbit hole.

So, I waste away in wonderland,
And continue to bury my head
In a pillow of avoidance and dread.
Too tired to face
A life being wasted,
Burying my head.


“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us”
–Joseph Campbell

Copyright © Amber Kemp 2017®
* No part of this poem may be used or reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any way or form or by any means electronic, mechanical, recording, or otherwise without the written permission of the author.*

If you liked this post you may also like:

1. 17

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts