Love Can't Fill The Cracks

(Trigger Warning: Self Harm)

You say it’s better to have loved 
and lost
my mind
Broke before it was whole.
Finding it becomes my goal.

Find and fix.
Retrieve and relax.
But love can’t fill the cracks,
Can’t dull the pain
Or heal the wounds
Yet, you say it’s all we’ve got.

Flirting with razor blades,
Dancing with a death wish
I was smothered by anything
But this impenetrable brain fog.

So I look outside,
Always outside,
At the world free from my fog.
I open the window,
Unlock, lift the latch and push.
Praying it will free my head
And bring a bird,
a flower,
or contentment, instead.

But the birds aren’t chirping
They’re screaming,
And the butterflies in my stomach
Aren’t butterflies at all.
They’re lions and tigers and bears
Oh my!
Ripping me
From the inside out.


Copyright © Amber Kemp 2017®
* No part of this poem may be used or reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any way or form or by any means electronic, mechanical, recording, or otherwise without the written permission of the author.*

If you liked this post you may also like
1. The Sandman
2. 17

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts