How to Make A Self Care Package

What is a Self Care Package?

A self-care or mental health package is a kit where you can keep a variety of items that you find helpful when you’re having a bad mental health day, for example, if you are feeling distressed, panicky, suicidal or depressed.

1.       Headphones or Earplugs

My panic attacks are often triggered by loud noises, especially when a lot of people are speaking over each other (that’s why I find things like bus journeys and shopping so terrifying). This is also why headphones are such a life saver! Even if I can’t play music, using them to block some of the noise is still extremely effective. And when you’re alone they’re great for blocking out the dark and intrusive thoughts. When I was at university we were given a free pair of earplugs. In the beginning I didn’t think I would need them but boy was I wrong. Sometimes when I wasn’t feeling great mentally, I would be sitting in my room and even when there were no particularly loud noises, each click of my neighbour’s keyboard and each voice from outside made me more stressed and agitated. Oh and the fireworks! I swear there seemed to be fireworks every weekend and every time they would trigger my panic attacks but earplugs and earphones did help.

2.       Sleep Mask

As someone who also suffers from chronic migraines and periods of pretty intense photophobia, my sleep mask has become my best friend. Too much sensory stimulation can be awful when you’re having a bad mental health day, a sleep mask and earplugs can help with that.

3.       Weighted Blanket

Although I’ve never had one myself, weighted blankets have been found to promote relaxation by providing deep pressure touch. It has been suggested that these may trigger the release of the feel-good hormones, dopamine and serotonin, which help combat stress, anxiety, and depression. Definitely something I would love to try in the future but at the moment I still find normal blankets extremely comforting.

4.       Hot Water Bottle

I find the heat so comforting. You can even get lavender scented ones, so that’s a bonus!

5.       Your Favourite Book


      If you know me, you know that I am such a bookworm! If I want to be distracted I like to revisit one of my favourite books, Geek Love by Katherine Dunn (not a romance AT ALL and such a strange read which is why it works so well as a distraction). When I’m feeling particularly overwhelmed it’s always comforting to return to my childhood favourites like Under the Hawthorne Tree, anything by Roald Dahl and of course, Harry Potter.

6.       Journal

I’ve previously talked about How Writing Can Help Your Mental Health and there are so many articles on journal prompts and about how journaling can be therapeutic. It may not be for everyone but for a lot of people it really does help so I definitely think it’s worth a try.

7.       Colouring Book & Pencils


      Adult colouring books have become much more popular and for a good reason! They’re a great way to combat stress, boredom, and lack of structure and they’re also a simple way to practise mindfulness which can have a huge impact on a person’s mental health.

8.       Hot Chocolate

The warmth and the sweetness combined is just so comforting!



9.       Medication or Natural Remedies

But please only use medication which you have been prescribed. Even though for me they don’t work miracles, I have found natural remedies like rescue remedy to have some degree of positive impact and I know that others have found them extremely helpful so they’re definitely worth checking out!

10.   Fidget Toy or Stress Ball


      I know a lot of (mostly neuro-typical) people have been making fun of fidget spinners lately but I’ve seen how much they have helped people struggling with their mental health. For me, my tangle toy has helped me distract myself when my thoughts are going a hundred miles an hour and when I’m having a panic attack and they have helped me fight the urge to pick my skin and pull my hair on so many different occasions. Screw what anyone says, if they help, use them.

Some other fidget toys include:
1. Fidget Cubes
2. Stress Balls

11.   Water

It’s so important to stay hydrated, both for your mental and physical health! There have been quite a number of studies on the link between dehydration and poor mental health so keeping a water bottle with you is so important.

    12.   Lavender Oil

The lavender fragrance is commonly associated with stress relief and is often used therapeutically in aromatherapy to relieve mild anxiety. It has also been used for insomnia, and stomach pains (‘nervous stomach’) which can accompany anxiety disorders.

13.   Scented Candle

Whilst we’re talking about scents, I definitely recommend scented candles! I personally find scents like vanilla and cinnamon extremely comforting but of course you could try lavender candles or whatever scent you find relaxing.

14.   Suicide hotlines and helplines


      I will link some resources bellow but if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts please, please, please call a suicide hotline or if it is really serious please call emergency services! There are people there for you who are ready to listen to you. I know it is scary and if you struggle with social anxiety disorder like me you may find instant message or text helplines more helpful, for example, text MATTERS to 741741 for the Now Matters Now crisis line or visit https://www.imalive.org/about.php to get help through an instant messaging service.

Make sure you keep these numbers, email addresses and websites in your mental health kit so that you can easily find them when you need them.

15.   Sudoku or Wordsearches

Again, distraction is key and these are especially useful as they require complete focus. Unlike a stress ball, you can’t really play Sudoku and ruminate over everything you think you did wrong that day.

“Make yourself a priority in your life. Afterall, it's your life.”
― Akiroq Brost

RESOURCES

UK & Ireland – The Samaritans - 116 123
Northern Ireland Lifeline - 0808 808 8000
America – The Samaritans - 1 (800) 273-TALK
Australia – LifeLine - 1-300-13-11-14
Netherlands – National Crisis Line - 0900-1450
Supportline Telephone Helpline - 01708 765200 / email - info@supportline.org.uk
Action on Depression (Scotland) - www.actionondepression.org
Aware Defeat Depression (Northern Ireland) - 08451 202961 // www.aware-ni.org.uk
Breathing Space (Scotland) - 0800 83 85 87 / www.breathingspacescotland.co.uk

CALL Community Advice and Listening Line (Wales) - 0800 132737 / www.callhelpline.org.uk

Comments

  1. Such a clever idea of a self-care package. It’s definitely important to have a self-care session every now and then.

    Yasmin x

    www.yasminlaronde.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an amazing idea as it is so important to look after yourself <3 I also love this as an idea for friends, especially as you can really personalise it for them xx

    Emma @ www.beautyfolio.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Definitely going to do this soon :)
    xoxo Annaleid
    www.actuallyanna.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts